THE NEXTGEN PATIENT PORTAL AUTO-ENROLLMENT PROCESSOR
is a NextGen Communication Services plug-in developed by NextGen Healthcare. The NextGen Patient Portal Auto-Enrollment plug-in automatically enrolls patients to your patient portal with some custom development by Innovative Computer Systems.
Some of the complaints we have heard from our clients about NextGen Patient Portal are:
- “It takes our staff too long to enroll patients with tokens!”
- “Our patients aren’t enrolling themselves in our portal after leaving our practice!”
- “Our patient portal numerators are too low for Meaningful Use attestation!”
As a result, we developed a simple solution for them. Now, our NextGen practices are enrolling up to 60 percent more patients than the traditional “token and handout” method.
Meaningful Use Patient Electronic Access
It’s important to point out the 2017 EHR Incentive Program requires Eligible Professionals (EP) to provide patients with patient portal access. This access is mandatory for Meaningful Use attestation. Here are the requirements:
Objective #8: Patient Electronic Access
- More than 50 percent of all unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period are provided timely access online to their health information. Furthermore, access must be given within four business days after their health information is available to the provider.
- More than 5 percent of unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period can view, download or transmit to a third party their health information during the EHR reporting period.
Objective #9: Use Secure Electronic Messaging
- A secure message is sent from the Patient Portal to the practice by more than 5 percent of unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period,
What do these requirements mean for my practice?
To summarize, 50 percent of all patients seen during 2017 must enroll in your patient portal. After enrollment, 5 percent must view, transmit or download their chart and send a secure message to the practice.
NextGen Patient Portal Auto-Enrollment Processor Implementation
First, we’ll schedule a 30-minute call to discuss the best workflow for your practice. During this call, we’ll decide on which EHR template to add the Patient Portal Upload button. Typically, it’s Patient Demographics, Intake, or Home in EHR. Then we’ll decide on a security question, and draft the body of the email sent to your patients upon enrollment.
Next, our developers will customize the template of your choosing with the Patient Portal Upload button. Then we add the necessary triggers and a custom-tailored stored procedure. We’ll also configure NextGen Communication Services (NCS) and customize your auto-generated patient enrollment email. Finally, after some developer and user testing, your staff is ready to start auto-enrolling patients!
What’s the NextGen Patient Portal Staff Workflow?
After your front desk staff enters a valid email address, they’ll just click the “Patient Portal Upload” button. After a few minutes, your patients can start requesting appointments, medical refills, review their chart summary, and securely communicate with your front desk and clinical staff through your portal. Finally, no more tokens, handouts, or difficult patient questions for your front desk staff to deal with.
Is NextGen Patient Portal Auto-Enrollment HIPAA Compliant?
Yes. In fact, our solution is HIPAA compliant and approved by NextGen Healthcare. That’s because enrollment emails never include patient health information. We also have a Healthcare Business Associate Agreement ready for signing.
How can we get NextGen Patient Portal Auto-Enrollment for our practice?Contact Us
About Innovative Computer Systems
Innovative Computer Systems is a Managed Services Provider specializing in Healthcare Information Technology (HIT) and Corporate Business Technology. We work closely with our clients to understand their daily workflow requirements. Some of our clients include leaders in Ophthalmology, Facility Maintenance, Pediatrics, Law, Urology, Dermatology, Commercial Real Estate, Internal Medicine and Ambulatory Surgery.